Olafe maintains a strict policy on password management as passwords are the primary target of hackers attempting to gain access to your data. Olafe will make sure that your passwords meet the following general policy guidelines:
- Passwords have to be changed on a periodic basis.
- Password history is maintained so that old passwords cannot be reused.
- Passwords cannot be changed too frequently.
- Password have a minimum length.
- Passwords must be complex:
- Passwords cannot contain the user's entire Account Name or entire Full Name. The Account Name and Full Name are parsed for delimiters: commas, periods, dashes or hyphens, underscores, spaces, pound signs, and tabs. If any of these delimiters are found, the Account Name or Full Name are split and all sections are verified not to be included in the password. There is no check for any character or any three characters in succession.
- A password must contain characters from three of the following five categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
- A catch-all category of any Unicode character that does not fall under the previous four categories. This fifth category can be regionally specific.
- Invalid attempts to guess a password, will lock out an account.
- Invalid attempts will lock out your remote access location so that no further guessing attempts can be made.
Article is closed for comments.